Monday, December 10, 2007

Pot of Gold


I was honored today at the Commanding General's Pot of Gold Award ceremony. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but this wasn't it...

Different groups on post nominate volunteers to receive this award. The majority of recipients- probably 95%- come from FRGs (unit Family Readiness Groups). I was nominated through the chapel, which I considered a high honor. There were 83 recipients, about half of which were there today. I got there and looked through the program, thinking, "Oh, this shouldn't take more than a half hour or so." Boy, was I wrong! The General gave his two-minute "thank you" via video from Iraq, then the Garrison Commander spoke for a couple minutes. Not bad. For the award presentation, I figured we'd line up graduation-style while they read our names. Nope. For each person, the Colonel called her (with the exception of 3 men) name, she came forward, the General's wife pinned a pin on, hugged her, the Colonel recited the same message while shaking her hand, handed her the certificate, then the three of them posed for a picture. THEN each person got to choose anyone from the audience to come pose for a picture too (most brought guests... unfortunately, Jon was en route to Mississippi for the week, so I had another chaplain who was there to give the invocation be in my picture). It took TWO HOURS... over an hour and a half of that was just the award presentation. We ended with a rousing singing of the 3rd Infantry Division Song and the Army Song.

Ah well. Like I said, it's always an honor to be recognized for what you do, and the fact that I was chosen of all the chapel volunteers was a good feeling. And now, I have this nifty rainbow pin to wear! Yes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be prouder!

ylf

Megan Manne said...

Congratulations, Sara! What an honor! How have you been feeling? I think of you often and how your day is approaching. I hope you've been feeling well!