Wednesday, April 09, 2008

My week... and a half...






You may have noticed I've been missing- I had a good friend in town last week and was too busy to blog! Here is part of what has happened since my last post...

~ 1st Brigade came home!!! Beth and I went to 3 welcome home ceremonies (they arrived on 14 different flights). What an exciting thing to be a part of! It is held at a parade field. You can just feel the excitement, suspense, anxiousness, and joy in the air! People start gathering about an hour before the anticipated arrival, and there are several short videos showing on a huge screen (you know, entertaining things like Army Safety and 5 Years of War...) The soldiers fly in to Hunter Army Airfield (about an hour from here- this is actually where Jon is stationed out of now) then are bussed over to Ft. Stewart. The announcer periodically announces how far away they are, followed by cheering. (well, except for the time that he announced "They're 30 minutes away!" 10 minutes AFTER announcing "They're 25 minutes away!")

When the busses come through the back gate, the announcer tells everyone to stand up and look to the right... and just about then, you can see several big white busses coming down the road! There is much cheering, clapping, and waving while they go by.

The next 5 minutes seem to take FOREVER- and I wasn't even waiting for my husband! The soldiers pile off the busses, get in formation, and FINALLY walk through a line of trees! There is a short ceremony (the National Anthem plays, the Garrison Commander talks for like a minute- literally- then we all sing the 3ID song and the Army song)- then, the GC says, "Audience- go congratulate your soldier!" or some such thing- I think once it was "greet your soldier" and once it was "attack your soldier"...

At that point, the crowd rushes out to the field. It was interesting for Beth and I to stay in the stands at that point, and just observe. Dads who were meeting their babies for the first time. Others who said good-bye to newborns and are coming home to toddlers (15 months is a long time...) Some wives literally ran and jumped into their husbands' arms, while others just stared at each other from a few feet away before embracing. It was quite moving.

~ Having Beth here was WONDERFUL! We met in the beginning of 6th grade- we were both in Student Leadership Council and met in the hall on the way to the first meeting. We have been friends ever since. It's funny to think that I have been friends with Beth for well over half my life. I'll admit, I was afraid having her come for a whole week that we would run out of things to talk about or get on each others' nerves... but neither happened. I'm trying to get her to fly down in June and drive back up with me... or marry a soldier... maybe both...

~ I went to our Hunter Spouses Club luncheon on Tuesday, and met several new people. One is Jon's roommate's wife- it was really great to meet her. Another is a new wife- been married 8 months, is expecting in 6 weeks, and her husband deployed last Saturday. I am so glad that she came out to the luncheon- as I've said before, the best way to meet people is to get yourself out there! It is so easy to be miserable and have a pity-party... the best way to combat that is to enjoy the good things about the Army.

~ Sophie started giggling! She doesn't do it really often- every couple days or so- but it is GREAT! She seems to laugh the most either while or right after eating... I think she takes after me in that... I love this picture- "What are you talking about? I'm not eating my hands..."

~ The house has been showing about twice a week... now we just need someone to want to buy it! :-)

~ Classes are going well. After I got over syllabus shock, I don't think it will be too bad. Midterms are next week already... gotta love 8 week terms...

~ I took over keeping track of our Chaplains' Spouses Roster- the lady who was doing it is PCSing. Not a huge task, but it will be great because I can get to know the new ladies as soon as they move in, hopefully getting them plugged in to the group. I look forward to that.

For now, I am working on trying to not feel like an 8th grader as I work on my science vocab terms...

4 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Wow, Soph is getting HUGE! I miss her and you.

I need some more pics of her cute wittle self, please.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sara,

The week was GREAT!!! Thanks so much for having me down. I like you. And, I love you. :)

Beth

Lori McDonald said...

Glad to see everything is ok -was starting to get a little worried about you and Sophie!!!

Lori

Laura said...

Sweet post! Hope all is well. I'm praying for you!
Laura